With the fourth of July right around the corner, safety concerns arise as many people purchase fireworks for the fun holiday. While fourth of July is always a fun celebratory time, it is important to remember that fireworks, if not handled properly, can be extremely dangerous and even deadly. We want all of our customers to stay safe this weekend so we’ve written about a few safety reminders we felt were very important to keep in mind to have a fun, safe, and memorable weekend celebrating our great nation!
According to the National Council on Fireworks Safety, there are many ways to celebrate in a fun and safe manner this holiday weekend. Below we’ve listed out a few tips that really stood out to us as the most important tips to remember:
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
- A responsible adult SHOULD supervise all firework activities. Never give fireworks to children.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
- Light one fireworks at a time and then quickly move away.
- Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from buildings and vehicles.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
- Never carry fireworks in your POCKET or shoot them into METAL or GLASS containers.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
- FAA regulations PROHIBIT the possession and transportation of fireworks in your checked baggage or carry-on luggage.
- Report illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks, to the fire or police department.
It is always important to keep all of these rules in mind this weekend as you celebrate our nation. As always, if you need emergency service on any of your home comfort systems this weekend, please give Hoosier Indoor Air a call today at 317.888.911. Enjoy the holiday!