You want the best quality for you and your family when it comes to air quality, air conditioning, and heating in your home. That’s why it is important to find the right contractor and ask them the right questions to make sure your comfort and energy efficiency are not only safe, but efficient when it comes to your wallet as well.
To help you find the right Heating and Air Conditioning contractor we turn to ACCA, a non-profit association that provides more than 60,000 professionals and 4,000 businesses in the Heating and Air Conditioning industry with memberships to promote professional contracting, energy efficiency, and healthy indoor environments.
ACCA provides this valuable information for homeowners, building managers, contractors, educators, technicians, and suppliers. ACCA’s homeowners page provides great information on hiring a professional contractor, and what a good contractor is worth. Below we’ve compiled questions ACCA suggests you ask your professional Heating and Air Conditioning contractor before you hire them to fix things around your home. For more information, visit acca.org
1. Is your technician NATE certified?
- Knowing if your technician is NATE certified is important before they start working on your home. According to natex.org, NATE stands for North American Technician Excellence which is the nation’s largest non-profit certification organization for heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration technicians. The purpose of this certification and why it is important to ask your technician about it is because it represents real world knowledge of HCAV systems.
2. Does your technician offer continuing education to their employees?
- With an ever changing environment, it is important that technicians are up to date on the newest information, services, and technologies in their industry. If your technician does offer continuing education, its smart to ask them about their training programs and what type of information they gain.
3. Do you have references?
- If your technician can provide you with references it’s always a good idea to check with someone who has used their services. From homeowner to homeowner, their opinion and experience can provide you with an insight into how your Heating and Air Conditioning issues will be handled, what type of price range you can expect, and the customer service they received. You can always check for reviews online as well.
4. Do you have a service agreement plan?
- If your technician offers a service agreement plan, it is something to consider. Having your Heating and Air Conditioning equipment well maintained runs much easier and more efficiently, potentially saving you money where you don’t need to spend it.
5. Do you have the proper license?
- Every state, city, and county have different contracting rules when it comes to licensing so it’s important to ask for proof and know that you are in fact getting someone who is qualified and properly licensed.
6. Do you follow industry standards?
- Your contractor should know exactly what “Manual J” and “Quality Installation” are and should follow the standards. Manual J is industry standard for determining how large your air conditioning system should be for the type of home you live in. Quality Installation is a specific standard that shows all the steps a contractor must make to properly installing your heating or air conditioning system. Both are extremely important to follow so it’s worth it to ask your technician about them both.
For more information about your Heating and Air Conditioning contractor and the questions you should be asking, give us a call today at 317.888.9111. We also offer free estimates with one of our highly trained, certified technicians and we’d be happy to help in any way that we can.
We serve the Greater Indianapolis Area, for more information on the specific areas we serve, visit our Areas We Serve page.