Spring is just around the corner in Indiana and and with warmer weather comes the need for steady AC. If you’re like many folks out there, you haven’t serviced your AC unit since last year or maybe even longer – and on that first 75 degree day, you might find yourself in trouble. Whether your AC unit is frozen solid, blowing out hot air, turning on and off, or making strange noises, there’s just nothing more frustrating than when the AC’s out on a hot and muggy day. The good news is – we’re here to help! We’ve listed the top 5 biggest air conditioning issues that might be affecting your AC unit, and some simple fixes that you should try.
The Top 5 Biggest Air Conditioning Issues for Spring 2022
1. The air coming out of my vents is hot and it’s supposed to be cool!
- If there is warm air coming out of your air conditioning unit, it may be due to dirty filters. Your unit could be producing cold air, but with particles and debris build up, the cold air could be getting lost. Changing the filter in your air conditioning unit is a simple and easy task for anyone to tackle. Make sure to change them about every three months.
- Make sure that your outside unit is running normally as well. If it is not, give us a call and we’ll be happy to send a professional technician out to service your unit.
2. My AC unit is frozen solid!
- This is one of the most common ailments when it comes to your air conditioning unit, and it can be caused by improper air flow. Check that all the filters and coils are cleaned up and debris free, and make sure they don’t need to be replaced. Other common issues that cause an AC unit to freeze are a malfunctioning blower fan, or a faulty control delay.
- As a homeowner, you can change air filters as well as clean away debris particles that could be obstructing the cold air flow, but please call a professional when it comes to replacing mechanical parts dealing with electricity. Trust us – if you don’t know what you’re doing, you could get hurt or worse!
3. My AC unit isn’t even turning on!
- If your home’s air conditioning unit is not turning on at all, the first steps to take are
- Make sure the unit is receiving proper electricity
- Make sure that the thermostat is set to its proper settings.
- If you think that your unit is not receiving power, check the fuse panel to see if the fuse has been blown or tripped. You can also verify the breaker in the electrical box is on. If your AC unit is still not running properly, it’s time to call in the pros.
- If your thermostat is not set to the cooling setting, this can also determine whether or not your unit is running properly or at all. This might seem like a no-brainer, but trust us… people miss it!
4. The air conditioning unit shuts on and off!
- This is another common result of a dirty or blocked up condenser unit or a dirty evaporator. If this is happening, first start by giving your unit a cleaning by removing all debris. This should eliminate the problem – but if your AC still continues to cycle on and off, we’re here to help!
5. There is a weird noise coming from my unit.
- Although some noise is perfectly ok when it comes to the proper function of your AC unit, loud rattling and vibrations that sound out of the norm can indicate that there is most likely something wrong in your unit. It could be that the unit was installed improperly, and you should leave this job up to the professionals.